Nourishing The New Year
California University of Pennsylvania at MANIA®
Vertical Advantage: Sit Up Straight
Relationships Take Work:
Les Mills BODYPUMP™ is Worth The Effort!
Recipe: Red Hot Chili Peppers
2016 begins another year of motivating clients to live well! It also begins another year of ensuring we are taking care of ourselves while leading others. Health and fitness professionals, tend to be the very population that is so excited to help others achieve results, that we commonly overlook ourselves.
We value good food, rest, exercise and positive thoughts, yet we get so busy inspiring others, that we pull late nights, early mornings and schedule clients back to back. These busy hours slowly begin to take a toll on our body, our energy and our health. Our intentions are always in a good place, but the implementation of our knowledge can go to the wayside when we are silently addicted to helping individuals create phenomenal outcomes! The very same is happening to our clients/members as they leave our facilities to focus on driving results for their personal careers and families.
How do we keep ourselves on the forefront?
How do we remind ourselves that we cannot give what we do not have?
If we do not have down time, peace, self-love and nourishing food, how can we expect our clients to obtain a full quality of life? This is a deep learning lesson I have had to reflect on several times throughout my career. I fully believe it starts from the top down and if I want to improve program adherence and client results, I have to ensure I am doing my best to make time for my personal self-care. Our lives should be an expression of the values we are teaching.
Top Five Tips to Nourish Yourself in 2016
1. Refuse to speak negatively to self! You are the greatest gift you will ever receive. According to the book, “Biology of Belief” by Bruce Lipton, Ph.D., the estimated 100 trillion cells we have in our body right now are responding to everything we think almost instantaneously. It’s like a light switch. Flip the switch and the lights come on. Thoughts of love, inspires growth and renewal, while thoughts of fear, self-doubt and negativity, breeds stagnation and disease.
2. Invest your 1440 minutes wisely! We each have the same 1440 minutes available to us every day. Consistently investing a measly 20 of those minutes for meditation, prayer, stretching, preparing snacks for the day… will offer a greater return than watching the stock market or scrolling Facebook.
3. Living food creates living cells. There are billions of cells being replaced each hour and 11 operating organ systems that are working each day to supply us respiration, thought, movement and vitality. These systems need quality fuel to build and repair, renew and to provide energy for our daily workload. We can’t build a sturdy home without quality materials. Foods that rot within a few weeks are the very foods that provide nutrients, enzymes and life to our body!
4. Calories are units of energy. Our operating organ systems need ample fuel to regulate body processes and to sustain optimal metabolism. Eating healthy food is like putting premium gas into your car… but are you consuming enough of said fuel to sustain a long day or a heavy workload? The body needs enough fuel to supply your basal metabolic rate plus daily activity for optimal stability and sustainable energy! Being too busy to eat or only filling the tank half way, will eventually lead to metabolic burn out.
5. Be the best YOU that you can be. Self-doubt, attempting to live up to someone else’s expectations and/or attempting to be someone you are not, is exhausting. It expends a lot of unnecessary energy that robs from your wellbeing! There will always be someone who is perceived as being less attractive, someone who is more attractive. One who is less intelligent and one who is more intelligent. Attempting to run the rat race of comparing yourself to others, will suck the joy out of your journey and rob from your nourishment. It was a 1 in 400 million chance that you came into this world. There must be something special about YOU. Make the commitment to be the BEST YOU that you can be in each moment and forget about the rest!
Learn more on how to nourish your body soul and more, with the opportunity of meeting Kimberly in person at every MANIA® in 2016. Visit www.scwfit.com/mania for all dates and locations.
Bringing Education Offered at MANIA® To Another Level
With the influx of more and more certified providers in the wellness and fitness industry the need for outstanding trainers, club owners, and operators to separate them from the competition has become essential to continued growth and success of their business. In order for the standard of our industry to be raised now and for years to come, earning or completing a degree in the industry is the best way to enhance your credibility, knowledge, skills and abilities as a trainer, owner or operator.
As preventative health, fitness and wellness take prominence in our nation’s new focus on healthcare, the need for a standard of practice in our industry is higher than it has ever been before. The need for science based evidence and knowledge to support fitness training models, club business operations, and general practice in fitness and wellness is requiring that our trainers, operators and owners be more than just certified.
Having a bachelor’s, master’s or other advanced degree in the fitness and wellness industry will help your club gain credibility as a provider, help you and your employees provide the science behind how you are helping clients and the benefits of wellness and fitness, and continue to raise the standards of the industry as a scientific, evidenced based primary care and preventative health option for many populations.
Additionally, continuing your education in the field can help you and your staff gain advanced, specialized knowledge in various areas that can help you to expand your practice and increase the number of potential clients you can reach and provide services to. Professional and continuing education options also can create new opportunities and earning potential within the industry.
With many higher education institutions offering convenient degree options, including hybrid, 100% online, and flexible degree options, the opportunity has never been better to start or finish your degree.
As the industry continues to grow and improve, and the impact that this growth has on public health, there will be a growing need for highly qualified, highly educated fitness professionals. The only way to meet this demand is to continue to promote the importance and need of fitness professionals who are not only well qualified through certifications, but also well qualified by their achievements in higher education.
California University of Pennsylvania is leading the charge. We offer bachelors, masters and doctoral programs in exercise science, available 100% online. Learn more about our Exercise Science programs here.
According to Dr. Barry E. McGlumphy, “As a nationally ranked university offering online education, California University’s Exercise Science Department has made it a primary goal to provide high quality education and degree programs to students in the fitness and health care industries. Our network of graduates across the country is as strong as I have ever seen over my 25 years of college experience. This network results in our students being positioned for prime career opportunities when they graduate.”
Cal U’s programs offer industry professionals the opportunity to enhance and advance their careers in a convenient online format. Our partnerships with NASM (www.nasm.org) and NASE allow students to add industry certifications with their degrees, creating better employment and earning potentials.
Visit our booth at MANIA Fitness events to learn more and to get a $25 application fee waiver! Visit www.scwfit.com/mania for all dates and locations.
For more information please visit us at http://www.calu.edu/academics/online-programs/exercise-science/nasm/index.htm, call toll free 866.595.6348 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have all heard it. Our mothers all said it, and now we realize that they had the right to nag at us. Poor posture contributes to the speeding of the aging process, pain, immobility and an increase in anti-social behaviors. Some contribute poor posture to a lack of self-esteem, decrease in lung function, digestion challenges and even insomnia.
The most common change in posture, as one ages, stems from the fact that he/she slowly reverts to a fetal position. The head and shoulders shift forward, the pectoral muscles tighten and the spine folds into what would look like a “C” from the formally healthy “S” curve causing the pelvis to tilt forward. Experts blame weak abdominal muscles and years of sitting or being habitually hunched over while performing activities such as typing. The C causes undo pressure on the low back discs often resulting in pain and discomfort.
Another concern, sarcopenia, the gradual loss of muscle starting at age 30, can cause a loss of almost one pound of muscle per year. Studies suggest that sarcopenia is a risk factor for both osteoporosis and postural problems.
A similar phenomenon, now found in young adults, is blamed on the excessive time spent in cervical flexion of the spine while texting. Experts have named the phenomenon “text neck” in a recent article in the Washington Post. Whether hunched or texting, one must be reminded that the human head weights over ten pounds and when the head drops forward as little as 15 degrees, the weight of the head increases to 27 pounds.
The good news is that muscle function can improve with resistance training. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommendations for exercise frequency and intensity suggest performing strength training no less than twice per week for at least 15-30 minutes. For those who are forced to sit for a living, it is suggested that frequent breaks are taken to stand and create neutral spinal alignment. Taking a short walk can assist in resetting the alignment for many. Participating in a regular water fitness exercise routine allows the participant to move through all recommended exercise prescriptions while engaging the core and spinal muscles and allowing for muscles in the shoulder and neck to relax.
Easy to follow strategies to improve posture starting today:
1. Sit towards the edge of the chair. Raise one foot at a time several inches off the floor to engage the core muscles. Align the spine by gently pressing the chin backwards while breathing in and out. Repeat on the other side.
2. Set a timer and adjust your position every 20 minutes while at the workplace.
3. Place a small sponge type ball between shoulder blades when driving or walking. Squeeze the ball and depress the shoulder girdle.
4. Practice the “open door” stretch daily to ensure the lengthening of the pectoral muscles.
5. Don’t be afraid to pick up a hula hoop or to perform snow angels as part of a daily routine.
6. Eat a healthy diet rich in calcium and vitamin D.
7. Take time and increase you inner awareness by practicing deep breathing techniques.
8. Get a yearly eye exam to ensure you have assistance if needed when reading or at the workplace.
In summary, paying attention and taking steps to improve posture will pay huge dividends in the long run. Many common maladies and needless trips to the doctor can be avoided with some effort and a common sense approach to the importance of posture.
Meet Ann in person at Florida MANIA® during any of the below Certifications or sessions.
Thursday May 19, 2016: SCW Aquatic Exercise Certification
Friday May 19, 2016: Aquatic Solutions For Active Aging, WATERinMOTION 25, Special Programming for Special Pops
Saturday May 20, 2016: Luscious Legs, WATERinMOTION Platinum 4
Sunday May 21, 2016: H2O Vertically Challenged
Visit www.scwfit.com/florida for more information and a full line up of what will be offered!
You’re in a BODYPUMP™ class and you might be bicep-curling 5lbs. You think back to the guys curling 45lbs on the gym floor and wonder why your light weights hurt so much. You can feel they’re doing something. You can even see they’re doing something. But how does so little do so much?
WHAT IS BODYPUMP™?
BODYPUMP™™ is for anyone looking to get lean, toned and fit – fast.
Using light to moderate weights with lots of repetition, BODYPUMP™ gives you a total body workout. It will burn up to 590 calories. Instructors will coach you through the scientifically proven moves and techniques pumping out encouragement, motivation and great music – helping you achieve much more than on your own! You’ll leave the class feeling challenged and motivated, ready to come back for more.
BODYPUMP™ is available as a either a 55, 45 or 30-minute workout.
BODYPUMP™ is built on the personal experience of athletes rather than research. Lucky for us all, it’s turned out to be one in the same. If you ever wonder whether lifting light weights is doing as much as it could, science1 says yes. It is proven that fatiguing your muscles is what creates results – whether you’re lifting light or heavy weights.
The BODYPUMP™ blueprint includes multiple ways for you to create muscle fatigue. With an extremely high rep count (up to 1000 in every class) and employing various manipulations to the standard rep, you can fatigue your muscles faster, and more effectively, than ever.
The rep modifications include:
1. Varied rep tempo: Changing the speed of a rep forces your muscles to recruit different fiber types. Super slow tempos target the deeper fibers, known as type one fibers, while fast contractions recruit what is known as type 2 fibers.
2. Range manipulation: Performing half reps (also known as bottom or top halves) creates a sealing effect on the muscle and starves the muscle of oxygen by avoiding the relief you get at the top of the movement. This enables you to reach a point of fatigue faster even if you’re only using a light weight.
3. Sequencing targets: Targeting specific muscles allows us to selectively fatigue one group and then move onto another. This creates an overall fatigue effect as each muscle unit contributes to the general fatigued state. This also raises metabolism and continues to burn calories after the session has finished.
This is why you need to love your rep. If you’re seeing a lot of them – in all shapes and sizes – you’re going to get results. This is The Rep Effect
Someone once told us that every color of the rainbow should be represented on your plate, so that’s what we set out to do when we concocted this Red Hot Chili Peppers recipe. Make an entire batch and enjoy them all week (or share them with your friends!).
3 C cooked quinoa
1 C corn kernels
1/2 C black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 C diced tomatoes
1/4 C onion, diced
3 T fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 t garlic powder
Sea salt and pepper to taste 3 large bell peppers
1/4 C pepper jack cheese (to sprinkle on top)
• Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment p •aper.
• Cut your bell peppers in half from top to bottom. Clean out all the seeds and lightly scoop out insides to create a bowl shape.
• Prep your filling ingredients (top 7): Cook the quinoa and cut up all the vegetables into small pieces. Mix filling together in a bowl and incorporate well.
• Fill each pepper with filling mixture, packing in as you go.
• Sprinkle cheese on top of each pepper (YUM!)
• Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Mmm it’s making us hungry just reading this! This recipe makes 6 servings and these stuffed peppers make DELICIOUS left overs (trust us)!